On September 26th my partner and I attended the NSLC Port of Wines Festival in Halifax, NS. This year marked the festival’s 20th anniversary – and instead of focusing on a feature country, they chose to celebrate 20 years of sharing great wine. Nothing wrong with that!
My partner and I are not fancy connoisseurs of wine by any stretch of the imagination! However, we very much love, enjoy and appreciate wine. We know what we like – and always look forward to an opportunity to sample as many different wines as we can.
Some friends were asking for our top picks from the show, so I thought I’d share them here. So here we go! Our top 15 selections!
**For drinkers of white (ie. my gal-pal L.B.!), sorry, but our list is 99% red. I don’t drink whites, because they oddly give me headaches. However, one ‘pink’ was so delicious it made our list!
- 2012 KWV The Mentors Pinotage $29.99 (KWV SA (PTY) LTD; South Africa)
- 2010 Buried Hope Tempranillo Crianza $19.99 (Pernod Ricard Winemakers; Spain)
- Mia ‘Delicate & Sweet’ Pink Moscato $16.99 (Freixenet SA; Spain)
- 2010 Marquis de Longares Reserva &19.29 (Cooperativa Vitivinicola de Longares, Spain)
- 2013 Small Gully Mr. Black’s Little Book Shiraz $22.79 (Small Gully Wines; Australia)
- 2012 Small Gully The Formula Robert’s Shiraz $24.99 (Small Gully Wines; Australia)
- 2013 Tahbilk The Tower Shiraz $23.29 (Tahbilk Wines, Australia)
- 2010 Casella Limited Release Cabernet $49.89 (Casella Family Brands; Australia)
- Pen folds Great Grandfather Rare Tawny $83.79 (Treasury Wine Estates; Australia)
- 2011 Bottega Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG $48.79 (Bottega Spa; Italy)
- 2013 Kim Crawford Hawkes Bay Merlot &22.99 (Constellation Brands New Zealand; New Zealand)
- 2013 Dona Paula 1100 Red $31.49 (Vina Dona Paula; Argentina)
- 2012 Dona Paula Estate Black Edition Red $17.99 (Vina Dona Paula; Argentina)
- 2012 Gauchezco Reserva Malbec $19.49 (Gauchezco Vineyard & Winery; Argentina)
- 2011 Manos Negras Stone Soil Select Malbec $19.99 (Manos Negras, Argentina)